Nowadays, gastric bypass surgery for obesity is one of the most common treatments in treating obesity. Along with other treatments, obese individuals are now opting for surgery as the best alternative to lose weight since most of the cases don’t have any results in exercise, diet, and medications. Although some medications can temporarily treat the obesity related diseases such as diabetes and hypertension, the health risk it brings is still there because the person is obese. That’s why an excess weight reduction is still recommended, to totally bring back the good health status.
The gastric bypass surgery for obesity procedures are a group of any similar operations in which it first divides the stomach into two portions, the small upper pouch and the lower large pouch or what they call the remnant stomach. After creating the pouch, it then re-arranges the small intestine so both pouches will stay connected to it. With years of experience, some surgeons have already developed a number of different ways on how to reconnect the small intestine. As a result, those different ways of reconnection had lead to several different gastric bypass procedure names. There is only one goal for all gastric bypass surgery for obese people, and that is reduction in the functional volume of the stomach to generate rapid weight loss.
Fast increases in number of people who have already undergone gastric bypass surgery for obesity are noted in the statistics. Some conveyed good outcomes while others are not satisfied because of the post operation complications. To give us a fair and clear view about gastric bypass surgery for obesity, a list of advantages and drawbacks will be presented so you can weigh if the surgery fits you.
• The procedure can help someone who is extremely overweight to lose weight quickly
• desired weight is maintained for a long period of time
• Health conditions related to obesity are either cured or improved such as diabetes type 2, sleep apnea, and hypertension
• Lessen dependence on medications for these obesity related health conditions
• Avoid frequent hospitalization and saves money in the long run
• You can enjoy a more active, healthy and longer life
• You are required to take nutritional supplements for the rest of their lives
• Needs regular testing to make sure you do not develop any nutritional deficiencies
• Most of the nutritional deficiencies cause serious health problems to the patient
• A limited absorption of vitamin B-12 and iron can lead to anemia
• The lack of calcium absorption causes osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease
• In rare cases of gastric bypass surgery for obesity , the lack of proper nutrients sometimes lead to neurological problems
As you decide to make a big change in your life and choose the path to wellness, whatever treatment will that be make sure you evaluate the pros and cons carefully. If you choose to go with gastric bypass surgery for obesity make sure that you discuss everything first with your doctor to prepare you for the surgery day.